There’s more to a beautiful smile than sparkling, white teeth. An attractive smile also has healthy gum tissue symmetrically draped around each tooth. The edge of the gum should be the same height for the two front teeth and for the canines (the long, pointed teeth near the front of the mouth). The gum tissue surrounding the incisors (located next to the front teeth) should be 1 to 1 ½ millimetres lower than the other teeth. This gum line is important to the overall appearance of your smile. Just as you can shape a fingernail, you can shape your gums to create a balanced, beautiful smile. Gum contouring is a cosmetic dental procedure for reshaping your gums and is easily performed at a dental clinic.
How do you know if you need gum contouring?
You are a candidate for gum contouring if:
- Your gum tissue is not symmetrical.
- One or more teeth look longer than the others.
- Your teeth appear to be too short.
- Too much gum tissue shows when you smile.
- You have a condition called altered passive eruption, your permanent teeth never fully protrude leaving teeth tiny looking and partially hidden by your gum tissue.
- You wish to improve the appearance of your smile.
What causes an undesirable gum line?
An uneven gum line can be caused by:
- Particular health problems
- The use of certain prescription drugs
- A condition called altered passive eruption, when permanent teeth never fully erupt
How is gum contouring done?
Gum contouring is a simple, quick and safe dental procedure and can usually be done in one office visit. The only known risks are a rare allergic reaction to the anesthetic and the recurrence of gum growth. The dentist will take care to expose more enamel without exposing the roots of your teeth. The results of gum contouring are immediate and can be very dramatic!
- You receive a local anesthetic to numb the gums.
- Over the next 5 minutes, you begin to lose feeling in the area though you’ll feel pressure and movement.
- A soft tissue laser or rodioprequencyis used to trim the excess gum tissue and shape the gum line.
- The laser or rodioprequency is then used to seal the tissue and prevent bleeding.
- After your treatment is complete, your mouth slowly regains feeling. This usually takes several hours.
Is gun contouring painful ?
Gums are known to be sensitive, so this is the first question most people ask when learning to shape their gums. The good news is that you will not experience any pain. Your surgeon will administer a local anesthetic before the procedure so you will be pleasant and drowsy. After the procedure, you will experience mild discomfort, which is easily managed with pain medication.
How long does gum contouring take to heal?
It will take 1 to 2 weeks for your mouth to fully heal after reshaping your gums. If surgical gingival shaping is performed, this period may extend up to 2 months. Post-operative care and following your doctor’s recommendations will speed up the healing process. Here are some general tips to help you get through the healing process:
- Rest for a day or two after surgery and limit your activities.
- Relieve pain with painkillers.
- Eat soft and cold foods such as eggs, pasta, yogurt, cottage cheese and soft vegetables for a few days.
- Avoid spicy and seedy foods until your gums are fully healed.
- Very gently floss and brush daily.
- Use an alcohol-free mouthwash.
- Avoid cigarettes, alcohol and straws for a few days.
- Call your dentist if you notice excessive swelling or bleeding.
Is there a risk of gum contouring?
The risk of complications from gingival remodeling is very low. While extremely rare, possible downsides can include:
- Tooth sensitivity may occur if the tooth roots are exposed as a result of cutting the gums.
- Relaps which means the growth of the removed gingival tissue may occur.
- In rare cases, allergic reactions to local anesthetics may occur.
- If necessary oral care is neglected after surgery, infection may occur.
These problems are temporary in nature and can be treated quickly and easily by a surgeon. However, patients are still encouraged to stay close and fully disclose their medical history at the consultation, so Dr. Kartöz can identify possible risk factors and take additional steps to minimize complications. At Global Dental Center, we minimize the risks associated with surgery, thanks to our extensive knowledge and experience in this field.
How much does gum shaping cost?
The cost will vary depending on the amount of gum tissue removed or restored. In the US, the cost of the procedure will range from $50 to $350 for a tooth. In the UK, costs can range from £110.00 to £150 per tooth.
You can review our page to learn about the prices of gum shaping and other treatments at our dental center, and you can make an online consultation appointment for more detailed information.